The QL History
The QL History
The Queensland Hotel has seen more than 30 different licensees and owners since Mary Theresa Bushell, a widow with seven children, in the late 1800s to current owners Carter & Co who purchased the hotel in 2020. Although it has been through fires, floods and the sheer test of time and changing lifestyles, it has stood steadfast on the south eastern corner of Goondiwindi’s Pratten and Marshall Streets.
The building itself was constructed by Hugh Perry, listed on records as a stockman, and he and his wife, Amelia leased several small areas in the parish of Goondiwindi. Amelia Perry became the second licensee of the hotel and continued until her husband’s death in 1904 when the lease was bought by Arthur Gildas Davies.
Excerpt from The Queenslander – Saturday 13th May, 1905 about A.G.Davies’s Queensland Hotel.
“The Queensland Hotel is away from the turmoil of the business part of the town, and is frequented by families from the country. The genial proprietor and his wife vie with each other in promoting the comfort of their guests. The paddocks attached to this hotel are kept solely for the use of customers’ horses, and are … grassed and absolutely secure. Anyone who once stays at the Queensland Hotel will return again and again.”
After surviving a flood in 1921, the Queensland was partially destroyed by fire in 1937. It was rebuilt in 1938 and the Marshall Street part of the hotel become two storeys made from concrete. On December 23rd 1944, the Queensland Hotel was once again devastated by fire.
Excerpt from The Argus – Friday 29th December, 1944 titled Destructive Fire at Queensland Hotel.
“One of the worst fires in Goondiwindi for many years occurred at the Queensland Hotel …on Saturday night when the old single story portion of the building was gutted… The fire appeared to have originated in the broom room at the southern end of the this part of the building and was first noticed by boarders living in that section. The Fire Brigade siren sounded at 9.15 and the Brigade under Superintendent J.R. Bushell turned out with its full complement of 14 firemen. However the fire had a firm hold on the single storey portion and was spreading with such fierceness and rapidity that the Brigade immediately concentrated its efforts to save the two storey concrete portion of the building, where rafter and woodwork were burning and had in all 1320 feet of fire hose and 5 nozzles in use from the Coventry Climax Engine and pump and the Hale pump connected to concrete water sumps specially built for fire fighting purposes about three years ago. Considerable damage was done to the main portion of the building by smoke and water… Mr Lucas informed an Argus representative that an approximate estimate of damage would be £10000. The building and contents were insured for £6000.”
After surviving more floods in 1956, the Queensland was bought by Alma and Matt Ziebarth in 1961 with great plans to update and improve the hotel over a six year plan. Stage 1, the Palm Lounge, began in late 1962 and included a dance floor, cold room, store room and toilet facilities as well as a drive0in bottle department. Catering facilities included a barbecue stand.
Each owner and licensee has brought their own changes to the Queensland Hotel to see it grow within the community and as a venue.
In recent times, the Queensland is once again undergoing transformations with renovations throughout the complex and soon to add the QL Quarters to the hotel’s accommodation.